Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Feeling Inspired

As far back as I can remember I have loved to create stories whether I made them up entirely on my own or piggy backed on one of my favorite television shows. I would play out my stories in my head or in the pasture with only the horses for an audience. Now that I'm older I still love to create tales only I no longer act them out. I've often thought of where my fascination for creating has come from and I don't have to look far to figure it out.

I have a very talented and creative family including fellow writers, painters, swimmers, dancers, athletes, and musicians. This week I'm especially thinking of my Grandma B who displayed her art through her brilliant baking. I've never tasted a better sugar cookie than the ones Grandma B used to make and her pie, don't get me started on her perfection that wordsmiths like me can't even find the right word to describe just how delicious they were. She really was brilliant and talented. We say our final good-byes to Grandma B this week. Sadness immediately filled me as I received the news of her passing. But the sadness did not last long. I still cry, but they are tears of remembrance for the life she led and the great legacy she leaves behind. In fact, stories of her life will always bring a tear or smile to my face and even inspire me to write.

Stories of living through the Great Depression, young love, destroyed family secrets, salt water taffy, Snickers bars, Dominoes, and an old porch swing instantly inspire me to put my pen to paper. Or a small three bedroom house for ten people with not much more than an abundance of love and discipline to support them. How about a coffee tin full of Valentine's sugar cookies or a boa constrictor as an unexpected guest or a trap door built into the hay loft as a cruel sibling trick. These are just some of the many, many stories with Grandma B at the center. To some her life would appear simple, but in my mind it was nothing short of extraordinary. Thank you, Grandma, for all the love and inspiration.

Who inspires you?

No comments: