Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Successful Failures

If success is really achieved through a series of failures then I'm on my way to succeeding as a writer. I received my first rejection letter today!?!?!?!?!?! I entered a short story in a contest for Highlights. I can't say I'm surprised I didn't win. In fact, I was somewhat excited when I saw the letter. I already knew I hadn't won because I saw the list of winners on their web page. So I knew opening the letter that it would be a "Dear Author..." letter. The letter is a reminder that I have made progress in the two years that I've been doing creative writing even though I haven't written as much as I would like to lately.

I have been thinking a lot about Charlie even if my pen has been away from the paper for a few weeks. I feel like I need to get a few more key elements figured out before I can put my fingers to the keyboard and start putting the ideas in my head into prose. This brings me to a question that I have and would really appreciate feedback.

What elements do you find important and enjoy in a good mystery?

Charlie's story is a Young Adult mystery with twists, turns, surpises, secrets, and suspicions. However, it's still missing some major development areas that I feel are necessary for all good mysteries but I can't quite wrap my head around it. I'm going to take some time to read some good mysteries and take notes on writing techniques, plot development, character development, point of view, etc. I hope this sheds some light on my minor writer's block. I'll also continue utilizing my storyboard.

I redeveloped my storyboard into a timeline which helped me see some areas that need work and areas that need scenes I've yet to imagine. This point in plot development has in the past caused me to quit and move onto the next project. I'm not prepared to put Charlie aside, but I definitely feel that there is slack in my writing and several holes in the plot. I'm really glad that I've been patient with Charlie and have avoided any premature writing because I would be working on something new if I had even put down the first page of her story.

If I can see a rejection letter as success, I'm hoping that I can find a way to use this slow writing time to my advantage. I'll keep writing and working with Charlie. What is there to lose? If I don't keep writing then I've failed before really trying and frankly I don't have a personality that can accept that reality.

Keep Writing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear B. Anne Crain,
I am writing to you in response of your blog, "Successful Failures".
FIrst of all, I love reading what ever you write! It actually calms me. Your writing is so fluid and emotional, even when its not meant to be. I feel at peace. I thank you for that.
As for your inquiry about what it is that we like to read in a mystery...I truly love the twists and turn, but I also love when dirt is dug up on the characters and gives us as readers understanding to their mangled lives. I know it sounds creepy, but understanding why people or things do the things they do is absolutely remarkable to me!
On the other hand, I absolutely love reading about the impossible. Adventures that take you places that don't exist or meeting people and creatures that only in our imagination come alive.
We as humans living in our everyday lives need a chance to relate, but also need that chance to get away to something out of the ordinary. I am a bit embarrassed to confess, but I am HUGE fan of mythical creatures!

B. Crain, I hope this helps a bit with your adventure with Charlie. Please feel free to pick my brain for personal experiences to help get the writing juices flowing. Believe it or not I have tons to offer! We can chat in confindence...

Best Wishes,
Write, Write, Write!!

Teresa

Kellie said...

Congrats on your first rejection letter! Did you nail it up on your wall?

You have absolutely nothing to lose by continuing this journey with Charlie, and so much to lose if you don't. I think that it is smart to stop and reflect and read, but don't let too much time go by. I hope that you are still writing something even if it has nothing to do with Charlie's story. It's hard for me to get moving again (in anything) once I've stopped.

I am not much of a mystery reader, so I don't really have much to offer. I do know that I love to read something character driven. I need a full blown, interesting character that I care about, or the story won't hold my attention. I've always loved your characters, so I can't wait to read more about Charlie, no matter what she's up to!

Keep on keepin' on!

Kellie